Creating a Lift Desk #15: Final Assembly and Installation - putting the puzzle together.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Underdog posted 02-16-2016 09:22 PM 991 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 14: Old Desk Removal- Permanently Temporary Item Part 15 of Creating a Lift Desk series Part 16: The Final Product, A Prototype »

I started working on this August 1, 2015, when I purchased the drafting table. I have a receipt for $100 from a flea market in north Georgia. I finally put it together in my office January 17, 2016, which is about 4 weeks ago today.

Took me almost six months from start to finish. I’m now using this desk as I write this.

The assembly went fairly well since I’d done it a couple of times previously. The sequence is as follows. Place the back on the carpet face down. Place one base back down on the back, and bolt it into place.

With the mechanism standing ready, and shims ready to hold the column spaced correctly, place the other base ready to receive the end of the base of the mechanism. And then lay the mechanism over onto the shims, and slide the holes in the base over the ends of the mechanisms base. Bolt together and stand upright. Easy Peasy. Well. Almost.

Then of course, I had to attach the glides on the skirt to assist keeping the whole thing from scraping itself to death.
I tried using nylon nuts at first, but that didn’t work out so well, because they were just too thick, and the screws just popped right through them. So I wound up using drawer glides instead.

I didn’t get a picture of the top installed that day, but you can see mounting holes in the arm brackets, and holes in the skirt where it got mounted. And in the picture above you can see the top leaning against the wall.

Once all that was done I mounted the drawer sleeves with guides into the bases, and got them somewhat level and ready for the drawer boxes. Once those were in place, I began with the bottom drawer face making sure that it was shimmed the correct amount away from the frame, and then pin nailed and screwed it to the box from the back. Then I could adjust the sleeve until the face lay flat and even. Then the next face, box, and sleeve were adjusted, until I got to the top drawer and everything was lined up. I neglected to take pictures until I was almost done…

The left side went similarly, except I needed to mount a door in the bottom opening, and had only one drawer in the top opening. I used three hinges to help keep the door stable since it was two drawer fronts splined together. I retrofitted a soft close mechanism after the fact. You can see the door and batten here:

After the top and skirt were on, and all the drawers were in, it was basically all done. I did wait til Monday to install the UPS, keyboard pullout, and CPU holder… Now that I think about it, I actually installed the drawers and door that week too.

So with that, I’ll post a picture of the pulls, as well as the keyboard pullout, the CPU holder, and the UPS all installed under the hood.
The choice of pulls was decided because we had the right amount of these black pulls in stock and left over from another job. And because they looked good on the cabinet:

Here’s a look under the hood. A bit awkward, but you can see where things are mounted, and all the ganglia flopping about. Hence the skirt, or modesty panel:

In the next installment, I’ll show pictures of the final piece and recap the project.

-- "woodworker with an asterisk"

1 comment so far

View bearkatwood's profile


1172 posts in 432 days

#1 posted 02-17-2016 03:40 PM

Cool, can’t wait to see it done.

-- Brian Noel

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics