One of the things I agonized over for a few weeks, before finally making a decision was whether to put beauty mold on the back and ends. I had drawn this originally with slats creating a panel look and just didn’t like it. Then I decided I’d put beauty mold on the create the panel look. So I purchased enough footage to do the panels and the doors.
It took several hours to get enough black paint on this stuff…
Anyway, I also made a decision NOT to put it on the doors.
How I finally made the decision to put it on the panels, was to apply some to a 1/4” piece of plywood slightly smaller than my end panel “opening”, and apply it as a mockup. I did an informal poll on my Facebook page, and the results were overwhelmingly in favor of the applied molding:
Once that decision was made, then I had to screw up my courage and actually lay it out, and start gluing and nailing it on. I scored a NICE 23 gauge Senco Pinner to do the job. (Not shown.) But it went well and I think turned out well.
The first panel was the hardest because I was anxious not to mess it up:
And finally I was done! Whew!
Notice all the paraphernalia on the top of the desk. All the drawers and the keyboard pullout. I modified that keyboard pullout so it would fit along with the mechanism.
Next up will be the finishing… Had to use my employers finished booths for this. Glad I didn’t have to do that at home!
-- "woodworker with an asterisk"