I thought about what kind of doors I wanted that would go with the rest of the desk, and finally decided on a mission style slab drawer front for the smaller drawers, and a back cut flat panel for the larger drawers. I also decided I didn’t want it to look like I had a door on one side and a drawer stack on the other. I wanted it to be symmetrical. So I decided to spline two drawer fronts together to make the door, and make it look like a drawer stack. As you will see it turned out pretty well.
First you have to rip and cross cut parts, then you have to mill them in a shaper, and then of course glue up the 5 piece cope and stick parts. Here’s one put together, and one ready to put together.
I made the top rail of the door/drawer side a little wider/taller so that I could spline two drawer fronts together to make a single door, and cut a groove mimicking the reveals of the drawers on the left side.
Unfortunately I neglected to clamp this assembly, and let it dry in a bent position. I had to cut another slab and respline it! Luckily I didn’t have to rebuild the 5 piece front. Clamped this time!
Finally the groove has to be cut and then the doors sanded. Whew! Glad that’s over. (And of course I cut my groove on the wrong side of the line, and if I were to do this right, I’d do it over. But too much time had gone by, and I needed to get it all put together! You can’t see it on the finished desk anyway.)
And of course I put a batten on the back side of this, just to make sure it stayed stable. I didn’t glue it on until I was SURE it cleared all the hinges. Good thing I didn’t because I had to cut it down twice!
-- "woodworker with an asterisk"