I decided early on that I would attach the CPU, it’s pullout holder, the keyboard pullout, and possibly the UPS, to the top somehow, so that I only had to have one power cord that flexed as the top was adjusted from the sitting to standing positions. That being the case, I also wanted to hide all the assorted electronic ganglia from view in the standing position. So I designed a “U” shaped Modesty Panel (Heretofore called a “skirt”- nomenclature changed to avoid the awkward proximity of words like “mounting” and “skirt” in the title.) to fit between the base cabinets and attach to the top.
This posed some challenges with structural stability as it would be open and unsupported at the bottom of the open end of the “U”. So along with the cleats and stretchers that allowed attachment to the top, I cut a 45 angle on the open edges, to ride behind and be captured by, the 45 angle cut on the inside corner pieces on the bases.
Here are pictures of the modesty panel assembly, and of the modesty panels mounted on the top. And another view of the whole thing assembled.
It’s coming together finally! And it might even work.
Next I’ll need to pin nail the small beauty molding to the end panels and the back panel. And then I’ll HAVE to make a decision about staining or leaving natural. Maple typically doesn’t stain very well, because it’s so tight grained that any end grain makes blotches. I need information on wood conditioner….
And then I need to make some doors and drawer fronts.
-- "woodworker with an asterisk"