With a design worked up in Cabinet Vision, I was ready to output and cut out parts. With the help of a friend who owns a new Camaster, I cut out the case and top parts, and then began putting stuff together.
Unfortunately I didn’t get pix of the cutout process… but I have several assembly photos.
Face frames actually came after part cutout and case assembly, but show them first because the second photo is with the bases assembled with the face frames.
I cut out the face frames and assembled them on the clamp table at the cabinet shop I work in, and then ran them through the wide belt sander. It was much easier to do that, than putting them together with a Kreg Jig and sanding it all by hand at home…
Also shown are the top buildup assembled and the finished back. I chose to build up the top with 1/2 birch so that mounting it to the arms would pose no problem, and to stiffen it up so that it would support carrying the PC holder and keyboard pullout.
I didn’t get pix of the threaded inserts I used to fasten the back to the bases… I’ve got a shot of them on the top though. I’ll show that later.
Note the cutout for the mechanism in the inside leg of each base. I’ll fasten a cleat a couple inches inside that hole to bolt the base of the mechanism to. But first I have to get the mechanism ready, and there’ll be some irreversible steps taken…
-- "woodworker with an asterisk"