As evidenced in my first post in this series, I have a severe lack of organization in my garage/shop. Two weekends ago I threw up some shelves with my ‘chop saw’ (that’s for you Don) so we could get my soon-to-be wife’s side of the garage organized. That was a quick and easy project, and we (mostly she) got that part of the garage in tiptop shape. Well last weekend she wanted me to start cleaning my side (two thirds) of the garage. We’re getting married in September in our back yard and we need the garage space for food and some of the guests in the after party.
Luckily all of my tools are already mobile, but my mobile bases are thrown together and take up a lot of space for their lack of utility. For example, the miter saw stand I made last year shortly after getting the saw. It’s basically a gigantic sawhorse that I made a box I could mount my saw to, and a moveable support. It’s footprint is 8’ by 30” so it takes up way too much space.
So, with all of my overtime I’ve been working lately, I got the go-ahead to build my own Ultimate Tool Stand! Now, I have to give credit to this page http://www.christophermerrill.net/ww/plans/UTS/Tool_Stand_1.html for inspiration. I used the basic design, but modified the dimensions to better fit my needs. I wanted to make mine the full 8’ lenth of my MDF sheets… Partially because I didn’t want to manhandle and cut that stuff any more than needed, but mostly because I wanted more storage space.
Here’s the carcass after the first two days of work:
I decided to see what spraypaint would look like on the thing… I’ve never painted (or even worked with MDF before) so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Even using ‘primer’ spraypaint didn’t work so well.
I gave up on the spray paint idea and go a gallon of primer and a gallon of flat white exterior house paint. After a week of painting an hour at a time in the evenings (between getting home from work and going to bed) I finally had it looking pretty good. This weekend, I built the tops which are made of mdf and plywood. I put two coats of poly on the plywood with sanding in between. I put the mdf together with glue and screws, painted, and let them dry. I mounted the whole 2’ x 4’ plywood sheet to the MDF boxes with screws. I then ran the whole box through my tablesaw to get the channels perfectly straight. There was probably a better way to do that, but I couldn’t think of it.
I wouldn’t call it done, but it’s at a good spot where I can start using it for it’s intended purposes of being an organizational tool center, and a work bench. I still have to make the center table piece which will be a downdraft table on one side and another set of clamp slots on the other. I will also be building drawers for the small slots in the top and a couple for the section in the middle.
Now to clean the garage… =(
-- Big John's Woodshed - Farmington, IL