I posted a shoulder plane I built several days ago and should have held off until giving it a solid trial run. It had issues in more than one spot. The mouth was too open for my tastes. There was also a good bit of chatter because the wedge ended too far up the blade. The wedge also was short on the top side and after tapping it barely protruded. I made a bunch of changes to try to salvage and got close. The sides ended up too skinny after all the extra sanding created by mistakes. The wedge hasn’t blown out the sides yet, but it’s coming without doubt. The pic below shows a few changes that were nice. I added a mahogany sole to close up the mouth and also turned 21/64” Mahogany dowels for cross-pins. The wedge is still not correct as I didn’t want to take the time for it knowing the plane would be scrapped once I redo it from the beginning.
-- Jeff, South Carolina