Mom's Jewelry Box #1: Almost finished!! (pics)

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by USCJeff posted 05-23-2007 05:00 PM 1157 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Mom's Jewelry Box series Part 2: Great Idea, Too late (hate when that happens) »

Here is the pic of the almost completed project. It is partially unassembled as the clear topcoat is still drying as I took the picture. You are looking at the underside of the lid at the top of the picture. The removable tray is below that. The box is below that. Here is a run down of what I used. The wood for the lid, box, and molding were all Peruvian Walnut. The removable tray is pine covered with a walnut veneer. I used Watco Dark Walnut Danish Oil. The lining is a dark blue self-adhesive felt. I intended to use quad hinges, but the lid was slightly too narrow for the mortise so I went with mortised butt hinges. The “W” inlay was cut from maple stock and sanded flush.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

-- Jeff, South Carolina

6 comments so far

View mot's profile


4911 posts in 4064 days

#1 posted 05-23-2007 05:20 PM

Hey Jeff, when I click on the picture it takes me to photobucket’s frontpage rather than a larger image. What I can see on the postage stamp I’m looking at looks pretty good. How did you go about doing the inlay?

-- You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. (Plato)

View USCJeff's profile


1063 posts in 4096 days

#2 posted 05-23-2007 05:37 PM

I’m still working out the kinks in embedding pictures. I’ll have to play around a bit more. The inlay was an adventure. It was my first shot at doing it. I have had a goal to try something new with each project and that was it for this one. I started by printing out the font I liked using Microsoft Word. I increased the font size to match the desired size. I pasted it that on the maple. I cut it close with a bandsaw and cut it to size with a scrollsaw. The inlay actually broke in three places. I was able to still use it thanks to glue! I traced the finished inlay piece on the lid with an Xacto knife. I routed out the hollow with a tiny straight bit. I routed out the tight spots with my Dremel tool. I have a plunge base for it. I also use the engraving attachment. I’m not sure what its called. It is the attachment with the long cord and pen like body. It is excellent for detailed applications. After that it was a matter of applying some glue and sanding it flush.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View oscorner's profile


4563 posts in 4338 days

#3 posted 05-24-2007 12:58 AM

I’d like to see a close up, too.

-- Jesus is Lord!

View USCJeff's profile


1063 posts in 4096 days

#4 posted 05-24-2007 06:19 PM

I’ll get better shots on Saturday when I most likely will finish it off and post it as a project. I took the picture with my phone as my digital camera had dead batteries and I’m too lazy to go upstairs and replace them!

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View MsDebbieP's profile


18615 posts in 4188 days

#5 posted 05-24-2007 07:27 PM

that’s quite the “W”—I was picturing a much more basic shape. I’m impressed!! Nice

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (

View Karson's profile


35125 posts in 4428 days

#6 posted 05-26-2007 02:04 AM

Great, Waiting for additional pictures.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia †

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics