So I’ve turned some pawns out of yellow poplar to try to narrow down the look I want. I then realized I wanted to base my set off of a king so I’ve started on those. The first one looked terrible, but I think that I’ve got it. At least I hope so because I spent an hour on creating a template to duplicate this one. It is a shade over 4” and a base of about 1 3/4”. You may notice the jacked up finial on top. Well, I initally had it turned to where I could carve out two sides to reveal a cross, but realizing it was just a practice piece I strutted over to the bandsaw to make quick work of it. First side, success… Second side, wood explosion! I enjoy both types of criticism so let me have it!
The final set will be turned out of hard maple and cocobolo. Thank you very much for taking your time to read.
-- "There's plenty of time to read the instruction manual when you're laying in the hospital bed". - Dad