So i think i left off working on tenons. I worked on marking all of them out after posting last entry.
Got two of them ready for first leg assembly. And after a lot of paring and beating about i got it together. It is nowhere near perfect cosmetically, but solid on a functional level.
Then i went to bed.
Got up this past morning, and worked on rough sizing of tenons for next assembly. I hadn’t gotten mortices done on other 2 legs but had marked them out. After my experience chopping out the mortices on first set, i tried a different method for this pair.
A little bit and brace action..
Not much use to take pictures of this. I had marked all locations for top and bottom of mortice and the centerline to locate the auger bit.
This went a bit quicker than chopping, but had to make sure i kept 90 degrees in three directions. Horizontal, left/right, fore/aft. Only ended off mark once. Turn till tip poked through backside, then flip and finish through.
So i ended up with this..
Took a LOT of persueding to knock it together, have a few concerns about taking back apart for finishwork then final.assembly.
But will worry about that a bit later, time to do a mockup so i can work on other joinery. And also get an idea how bench will look.
Things be a bit tight in shop, need to move everything out onto carport tomorrow.
Marked out aprons for dados and also see how endvice will fit after i mount it. Double check later after carport setup.
Originally planned on both legs being 9” in from both ends. But looks like i will need to move the right leg assembly in ~13”.
More to come later..
- trim top and aprons down to final length
- chop out bottom of slab for endvice mount
- dado aprons and remove a bit of leg assemblies to flush aprons to front of legs.
- disassemble leg assemblies, champher all edges, finetune mortice/tenons, figure out legvice mount.
Thanks for stopping by again.
-- "....put that handsaw to work and make it earn its keep. - summerfi" <==< JuStiN >==>=->