End.. being a fluid term, since it will be a long time before a toolchest will ever be finished.
Organizing, rearranging due to acquistion of “new” tools, always changing to fit needs, and adding personal touches leaves the end somewhere on the far horizon.
But I am getting close to saying this chest is done… enough. Then move on to other things.
That said, bear with me as i edit this post over next day or two. I am juggling time constraints, my phone and the site at constant war, and multiple devices as my computer is on the fritz.
I am/will be editing my previous entry with pictures. If you have looked at it already, give it a couple days and it will be a bit different as well.
After finishing with painting, one idea i had was to make the lid usuable while closed. So i went through my scraps and found a small piece of oak and worked it down with my block planes, saw and chisel.
Not planning on making the sawbench anytime soon, but was what i had handy for demonstration.
Before i pulled chest out, made the lid, and painted i had it sitting on an old upper cabinet i salvaged at some point.
The thing on the floor at far right
It put the chest at a comfortable height so i took some measurements. O
Once again dug through scraps and some salvaged wood. I found a 2×4 and 2×6 i had pulled out of the trash one evening where an old store in town was tearing out some shelving. They were painted black and apparently were fingerjointed together to get more length. ( Fingerjoints i decided to use as a feature, as well as the slight bit of paint left in deep holes)
Ripped them down to around 2.5”, and cut to my lengths i needed with my paired D8 saws. Then planed the paint off with my #5, took my lightcut #5.5 to “smooth” all pieces down.
I wanted to do some mortice/tenon joinery but time wasn’t on my side ( not that it woulda taken a lot more of it, my skills in that type of joinery is wanting though) I decided to bring out the Kreg Jig and do some pocket screw joinery.
Made a simple stand.
The outside deminsions of chest sits flush to outside of stand. The rot strips, as i have been calling them. ( no pictures of them, forgot to) Oak pieces 1 1/4” tall, 2” wide and 1” short of total chest depth, that are screwed to the bottom 6” in from the sides. I made notches on inside edges of my front and back crossbeams so the strips would fall into them and hold the chest in place. The stand is not fastened to the chest in any way but with it falling into the notches.
Some of the “design features”, finger joints are in middle of all 4 legs, paint showing is actually on inside and hidden though
This was finished with a with a BLO/MS mix, let it soak in with a few applications. Wiped dry, the rubbed down with some paste wax and a grey ScotchBrite pad, dried and buffed out.
Chest sitting on stand, in place.
Look at the shop as i walk out at 2am, after i put most of my tools in the chest in rough orderand cleaned up a wee bit.
Next installment will be an everedited post having to do with organization within..
Thanks for stopping by!
-- "....put that handsaw to work and make it earn its keep. - summerfi" <==< JuStiN >==>=->