The two previous images are from 4 weeks ago before i left for work. The back was done up with pine i had on hand. Unfortuently as i was installing the last couple boards i noticed they had developed some twist and that i had a knot too close to an edge. I decided while at work i would replace with my remaining poplar that i was saving for another project.
After returning home and replacing the upper 3 planks.
Then i proceeded to glue up panels for my top and the fall front.
The finished glueup for top
Fallfront glueup in progress
I squared up my panels using my planes.
End grain shavings…
From a “jack” plane crafted by BigRedKnothead, sitting toe to toe with one of my #5.5s
Got out my Craftsman #78 clone made by Sargent and attempted my first ever breadboard ends.
My ends are 2” wide, a little wider than the #78’s cut. Had to get out my #5 and clear off the rest
Not perfect, my blade on the rabbet plane is a little off square, gotta fix it soon. Was aiming for 1/4 tongue but ended up with 5/16. Just left it as is and adjusted accordingly.
As i didn’t really have any good instruction on how to do breadboards i just guessed at what i needed. Left a 1/4 tongue the full length other than 1/2” on each end . Longer tongues 2 “wide roughly 3” apart. Center tongue was a bit less than 3” from outside, just made sure it was centered. Longer tongues were originally 2”long but i cut then down to 1”.
Used my first power tool for the breadboards, to hollow out the mortices, needed to get this done and didnt trust my hand drilling or hand cutting mortice skills yet.
Drawbored the pins, center pin solid, while outers left with play for expansion. These turned out nowhere near perfect but good enough for a tool chest. Blew out 2 of the boards on back end, offset to far i believe. They on the inside and not gonna worry.
And panel in place, marked for trimming, no pics of this but got it fit just right.
Onto the next step and some assessories ( actually did some of these in between some of previous steps.
Battens? For fall front locking, bookmatched Ash with BLO finish, will wax when dried out.
And in thier spots for now. I have been working out of the chest due to space constrictions.
Need to make a stand for it, wanted to make a smaller lower chest for it to sit on but it would be less than 10” of space if i put it on casters. So just a basic shaker style bench perhaps instead.
Prototype tool rack for chisels and whatnot, need to find a good configuration and put a permanent fixture in.
Guides for the battens to mount on backside of fallfront, made of walnut, hand cut and formed with chisel and rasp. Put on some BLO before i walked out of shop tonight.
Thats all i got for now, been a while since last installment and lots of pictures to upload. Maybe i can finish this soon.
-- "....put that handsaw to work and make it earn its keep. - summerfi" <==< JuStiN >==>=->