After i finished the previous steps i decided, despite what Schwarz says about it, to put some finish on the inside. No pictures, figured no need. I masked off all the edges i didnt want anything on, then applied roughly 2-3 coats. Really all i did was use up the last of my Zinnzer clear waxed shellac, will apply some wax in the future.
But onto what this part of the blog is about.
I bought, off ebay a year or 2 ago, a decent Stanley #45 with a basic set of cutters and most of the parts (missing a skate knicker, knob for fence). It came with a basic set of cutters, straight plow cutters from 1/8 – 1.25”, beading cutters from 1/8 – 5/8, a sash cutter, an ogee, and a tongue cutter. The original fence was broken, only thing holding it together was the rosewood piece, i got a replacment from Smitty and it worked fine.
I have never seriously used it. Sharpened up the straight cutters and cleaned the plane up a bit, maybe tried tomake a bead on a scrap, then put it away for when i had time to play with it more.
Now is that time, i wanted to do tongue and groove for the back portion of this chest. Blew the dust off, stropped the tongue cutter, and roughly did adjustments.
Being my first try i have some issues with my ability to work the plane. Keeping it balanced and finding the right grip, etc. I tried to cut a couple and kept breaking them apart. Threw some wax on the runners and fence thinking maybe i was getting too much resistance and still had trouble. So i went in house, fired up my bluray, loaded up Chrisstef’s 45 videos on youtube, and studied How he used it. Also messaged him with my woes and he offered some advice.
I then slept on the matter. Woke up the next morning with a fresh mind, after some coffee. Went out, made some more adjustments and tried again.
A successful tongue!
Though it is a bit offcenter.
I grabbed my #5 and 5.5 and took my board down to flat and square
tried again after some fence adjustments..
Time to get to work..
Well i got all my tongues done, took my #220 block plane and made a couple passes on all sharp edges before i removed from vice.
Then i went to set up for the grooves. Installed, what i thought, was the right size cutter, adjusted the plane to center the blade for what should be a flush fit on the tongues.
Ran into a couple issues…
The cutter, needing to be the 1/4” size, was actually 5/16 (failed to actually measure), too big in any case. Sloppy fit, so i dug through my cutters and lo and behold, i have no straight cutter of the correct size. ( None to be had, where i have looked, online so if anyone has a spare, i would be interested. Messaged NHplaneparts on ebay, he had none at the moment but said he would keep an eye out for one.)
I needed this done, so i got the idea, since it was the correct size, to use my 1/4” beading cutter. This actually worked well. Tried just cutting a bit deeper at first to make everything flush but… The ends of the boards will be visible and it looked like crap on my first fitting i went to the correct depth and cut the bead out with a chisel. Broke the edges with the block and called it good.
Thats a wrap on this here post..
onto the next one when i get the time…
Thanks for reading
-- "....put that handsaw to work and make it earn its keep. - summerfi" <==< JuStiN >==>=->