before pics don’t show much but here is my grandfathers T17 #5. Stained hardwood, rubber depth knob, 1 piece knob and tote screws, frog adjustment and has the lever cap with the Patent date. The Tote was broken near the foot and the japping was 75% shot. Not too much rust, just dirty and neglected really.
So I stripped the rest of the japping,repainted with several coats of Hammered Rustoleum. Replaced the wood with walnut pieces crafted by TerryR and acquired 2 piece brass screws. Lapped the sole, which was amazingly flat to begin with, shined the sides up. The port side was square to sole, starboard was toed in just a bit, nothing i can do about that. Painted the cap with Chevy Victory Red,its what i had handy from touching up my bumper on my truck. Not sure if that’s “true to form”, had no indication of former paint, but I like the look. I tried to smooth and shine the “lips” on the casting but still needs more work, break out the Dremel once I refind it, and touch it up. Still working on my sharpening skills so at the moment lacking some shavings pics due to that and the general chaos around the place.
The grain of the Walnut pieces from Terry is awesome, got to love it. I finished them with BLO and wax only. Thanks for all the wonderful advice the many members of this site contribute.
-- Justin - the tugboat woodworker - " nothing changed me like the first shnick from a well sharpened, decent hand plane"