LumberJocks

Intarsia #14: Lilly Cross Day 3

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by TripleB posted 705 days ago 798 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 13: Lilly Cross Day 2 Part 14 of Intarsia series Part 15: Lilly Cross Day 4 »

When things turn bad, it seems to snowball! In my last post I was saying how happy I was that everything was going so well (Yes I know that post was a while ago at this point, sorry bout that), and it was, until I tried to lay the Lilly out to match the flower to the stem. It simply would not work because the stem was not thick enough. The problem is, I was so concerned about wrapping the stem around the back, I never considered how high it would need to be on the front. Whoops! I intend to lay the Lilly on top of the cross now instead of inside the cross so the stem needs to be higher in front in order to match up with the bottom of the Lilly. Here’s a pic that I hope will help you understand what I am saying.

The top of the stem needs to protrude over the front of the cross to connect with the Lilly, so all that jubilation I felt was all for nothing and the stem went in the garbage can.

There is a simple solution, double the thickness of the stem! so I did. I glued a couple pieces of 3/4” Mahogany cut it out and all is good. Wait a minute, that’s not necessarily true! I did glue it together and cut the shape out, that all worked great. Where I made another boneheaded mistake was when I fit it up to the cross. I was concentrating on getting the cross to fit in the middle of the stem, I simply didn’t realize I had the stem upside down when I marked it!!! DOH!!! Needless to say I cut it out, and when I went to fit it to the cross, well it was upside down. That’s stem number two in the garbage can. I was rather ticked of at myself when that happened and was not thinking about taking pictures of the blunder at the time, so the stem is already at the dump, and I have no pictures to show it.

I knew when I took this project on that there would be hurdles for me to overcome and yes the now ever popular “Bumps in the Road” however I am not discouraged, just more determined to get this right finally. I know I can do this, I just need to stop making these lame mistakes. It’s embarrassing.

I understand it might look like I had given up on the Lilly cross, but I promise I haven’t, I simply have been busy with a bunch of new orders that I had to get done with before I can get back to the Lilly. I’m actually hoping I don’t get any orders for the next few days so that I can get this very frustrating project complete. I’m off to make yet another stem, wish me luck!

Bob
TripleB
Scroll Saw Forum

-- Join me at http://www.scroll-saw-forum.com/



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase