Re-design on the fly can lead to many changes in a project from minute to minute, I am quickly learning. I finished the sanding of the cross pieces to get the proper thickness and laid them out. It was than I realized, I need to make two of these now. In order for me to get the design I have visioned in my head, I need to remake the cross as a solid piece. I’m cheap, which means I don’t want to throw away the material and time I have already spent on making the cross pieces, so when I’m done with this one, I will make another that more resembles the actual intended pattern. That’s Ok with me, cus I will still get the 3D style sculpture that I want out of this one. So those pieces will be saved, and made into a more typical pattern once I am complete with my “Visioned” piece, it just won’t be as much fun and will not be blog worthy.
I’m picturing this Lilly Cross on a base without the backer board. I also want the vine to wrap around the back of it so that when looked at from the back and sides you will see the vine with more leaves and the flowers draping over the back of the cross and the flower jumping out away from the cross. I know this may be a bit ambitious, but I think it can be done and I’m going to give it my best effort.
I really like doing Intarsia, I think it can be stepped up a notch though if it wasn’t always flat on one side, hence my attempt at a sculptured intarsia piece. At this point I don’t know if it will work let alone be possible to do, so please don’t laugh at me if this ends up in total failure!! I’m still going to put it up here be it good or bad. Tomorrow I will re make the cross as a solid piece and see what develops from there.
-- Join me at http://www.scrollsawparadise.com/