LumberJocks

Intarsia #11: Lilly Cross Day 1

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by TripleB posted 09-04-2012 07:04 PM 3935 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 10: Hummingbird Day 10/ Completed Part 11 of Intarsia series Part 12: Lilly Cross Day 1.1 »

I’m starting a new project but wasn’t going to blog about it because I thought it would be boring. While I was working on cutting the cross parts out I decided to make this project quite a bit different than originally designed. I decided that documenting my thought process and figuring out how I’m going to actually accomplish it will give me reference for later if I decide to do it again. What better way to do that than with the blog, so here I sit.

This pattern comes from Kathy Wise’s book “Intarsia Woodworking for Beginners” page 102. Here is a picture of the Lilly Cross from the book and what it is supposed to look like:

What I have in mind for it is to not make it as a wall hanging but to put it on a base and make it a stand alone item. I also want it to look just as good on the back as it does in front, which is going to be a real challenge!, but I’m gonna give it a try. I like the cross but I don’t like the plain square edges of the cross pieces, so I am going to give them a 45 degree chamfer on both the front and back of it.

As luck would have it, I’m not having a great start. I’ve already made a couple boneheaded mistakes. I can overcome them, but it’s simply stuff I should have given a little more thought to before I started cutting. I will be more careful from here on out. I guess these type of brain lapses can happen when you decide to change stuff while you are working on it, the frustrating part is it just takes additional time.

Bonehead mistake #1: The cross pieces are supposed to be 1/2” thick, I’m using Walnut, I have a piece of 1/2” Walnut, but for some reason, I grabbed 3/4” and applied the patterns to it and started cutting before I realized it was the wrong thickness. Unfortunately I do not own a planner, so I’m gonna have to spend quite a bit of time in front of the belts sander.

Bone head mistake #2: While routing the pieces, I routed an edge I was not supposed to! Doh!!! So now my cross is going to be a 1/4” shorter than originally intended. Normally this would be no problem, but now the pattern is off and I will have to adjust it as I move forward.

Well gotta go do some belt sanding for a while, I’ll update when I get to a point that I might actually do something right!

Bob
TripleB
Scroll Saw Forum

-- Join me at http://www.scrollsawparadise.com/



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase