I spent most of yesterday working on the Lilly, but didn’t quite finish it up. I did not want to update the blog until the Lilly was as finished as it could be. I spent a little time this morning finishing up the Lilly and than moved right into making the bird itself. I am going to make another blog post this evening on the birds progress as soon as I am done with this one.
I used some different woods to finish up the Lilly. The leaves in back are Maple, the stem is Bubinga and the seed pods are Purple Heart. The back Maple leaves might end up changing once the Wenge arrives to make the beak. I just made them to get a feel of how the beak will come together, which at this point is still a mystery to me. The pod stem is Bubinga that I used a cut off blade on a Dremel tool in order to accent the grooves in the stem. The cut off wheel burned the wood while I was cutting the grooves which I did not expect, but I actually liked the unintended effect and just went with it, I like the way it came out. The seed pods I thought could use some color so I went with Purple Heart, but they were boring looking, so I got the soldering iron out heated it up and added some impromptu wood burning effects to the pods with the goal to be a smaller seed effect. I’m not sure if that was successful or not.
Well you can see for yourself in the picture below. Now on to the bird posting which I am finally glad to be able to get to!
Scroll Saw Forum
-- Join me at http://www.scrollsawparadise.com/