Well, last night I cheated a little and used the new workbench before it is done. I still need to sand down the two sheets and glue them together, but I had to cut a board into some shelves last night. I went ahead and used two simple screws to attach one of the sheets to the base to for a top. Even with just one sheet, the top is dead solid (I was able to stand on it with my fat butt).
Anyway, My wife had asked me a week or two ago to make some extra shelves for the pantry, and linen closet. I had run out of excuses because she even picked up a fresh 1×12 from Lowe’s the other day for it. so, I took the time to cut up the board into the shelves. I made 1 35” long shelf, and three 19 1/4” shelves from an 8’ board. I was really hoping there would be more left over… heh. oh well.
Anyway, I still have to finish the top and move the old “makeshift” bench out of the way – a folding card table and a sheet of cheap flake board – so I can put the new one in place. I may even be able to dig out the table saw and stop using it as a secondary bench. Sigh.