I made some progress on the back. Looking good if I do say so myself.
Gluing the arched cross members to the posts. You can see one of the spots I’m not happy with in the foreground. When I cut this profile with the bandsaw it revealed some strange feathery wood that chipped out easily. I’m not too worried since it won’t be visible.
Inserting the pegs. The round pieces in the foreground are for the hinge. I started them with a two inch hole saw on the drill press then finshed them with the bandsaw and the spindle sander. I found that a 1/4” plug cutter makes the perfect hole to accept the 3/8” steel pipe nipple that will be the hinge pin. The fit is so perfect in fact that I’m not going to use glue on one of them. That way the back will be removable for moving.
I’ll get a little bit more done tonight ….I’m getting anxious to see it finished.
-- Bob, Carver Massachusetts, Sawdust Maker http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org