In the last post you saw my fancy-schmancy headrest cutting jig. Well, I couldn’t come up with any reasons not to use it, so I loaded up my one and only headrest blank, fired up the saw, and started cutting…
Here you see the back side of the headrest after the first cut. As you can see, the blade blew out the back side as I went along, but I figured I could sand it out…
It’s a bit hard to see, but this picture shows the blade position just after exiting the wood. Yes, it did jump to the right 1/4”, and it did leave a serious barrel cut (wide at the middle, less wide top and bottom).
When I made the second cut for the front of the headrest, the blade exited the wood before it got to the last board.
So I’ve done three things:
- Aligned the top and bottom wheel better by adding a shim behind the top wheel to move it out ~1mm.
- Re-set the attachment points to insure the head rest blank sits evenly on the swing arm.
- Ordered a band saw blade from Hal Taylor. It’s been a week, but I finally got notice the blade is to ship today.
Let’s hope I can salvage this headrest in the do-over attempt!!