I’m still going on the rocking chair. At this point I have the front and rear legs cut and shaped, the seat is glued up and the notches are cut out (I’m awaiting a router bit to cut the rabbit, and the kutzall to shape the seat), rocker and back brace lams are cut and ready, headrest billits ready, and the gluing jigs are finished.
If you are planning to try one of these, I suggest you read the book far ahead before cutting wood. I’ve found a few places where after I had all billits cut and ready I had to go back and make more. For example, there is an extra back brace lam that is cut 1/8”, 8 back brace lams for the clamping caul, and one other I can’t remember right now. Not major, but I did have to dive into the trash bin to find materials for one of the parts.
I’m gluing up the back brace caul now; I found a few issues with my implementation of the glueing jig. Hal provides a template of the curve, but the rest of the jig I came up with on my own. I used two layers of 3/4 MDF as it was inexpensive, heavy, and easy to shape to the curve. I checked the pad size on my C-clamps and used a 1” spade bit in the drill press to make the holes. The alignment brackets are 1” aluminum angle stock, 1/8” thick x 6” long, held in place with sheet metal screws in pre-drilled holes. The clamp holes were sized and placed to minimize the risk of the MDF cracking or blowing out as I applied clamp pressure.
You may notice from the picture I have the clamps all the way out to fit the caul into the jig; that means I won’t be able to fit the back brace in with the caul on top using those clamps. My larger C-clamps have a larger pad and won’t fit into the hole… At this point I’m thinking harbor freight 6” clamps and a grinder to re-size the pads.