Shop Class #3: Tools of the Trade

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Tooldads_apprentice posted 08-29-2008 12:01 AM 931 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Idea Help Part 3 of Shop Class series Part 4: Shop Student Seeking Plans »

In shop I have used a try square numerous times but I never thought why it was called such. Can you help me out?

-- Your not a true woodworker until you blow your nose and saw dust comes out! (WoodWorker Rule)

3 comments so far

View dennis mitchell's profile

dennis mitchell

3994 posts in 4312 days

#1 posted 08-29-2008 12:08 AM

Cus try as I might they just never quite turn out square!

View Napaman's profile


5526 posts in 4075 days

#2 posted 08-29-2008 12:25 AM

hahaha dennis!!!

I am guessing because its in the shape of a triangle…but it allows you to measure and mark a 90 degree angle…which is a square…???

but your entry makes me think—-WE NEED AN LJ’s Dictionary….someone can post a word/term…and in the tags put the word…and everyone can “chime” in with their definition and links to research on the topic…etc…

-- Matt--Proud LJ since 2007

View Jbower500's profile


13 posts in 3555 days

#3 posted 08-29-2008 08:05 PM

A try square is a woodworking or a metal working tool used for marking and measuring a piece of wood. The square refers to the tool’s primary use of measuring the accuracy of a right angle (90 degrees); to try a surface is to check its straightness or correspondence to an adjoining surface.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics