Sorry to do back-to-back entries, but haven’t had much time to post anything for the last week. Anyways, I realized that this was going to get heavy use, and wanted to be able to reinforce the frame with something more than just glue. However, I did not think of that before I assembled each cabinet, so I was left to improvise:
Some spots were harder to get in to than others…
And don’t mind that extra large dado… The trim will cover that!
After finishing all of my pocket holes, I needed to get the saws permanently mounted to the table top. With three coats of Poly, they sure do slide around alot. I picked through my lumber pile to find a nice, long, finished piece of maple from an old worktable. This would work perfectly for aligning the fences to each other. By taking a few measurements, I was able.to offset the piece using a square, so that it would be a uniform distance from the front.
Then, holding everything I place I slowly tapped the back of the saw until it was touching the board (circled in red).
Once it was in its place, the height was the next thing to secure. I added shims to under the feet to make for an easier cleanup under saw, but the first ones were planed down too thin, leaving a gap between the table a saw table. This won’t do.
So it was time to make another piece, being careful not to go too crazy on the planer. Much better.
Notice the initial bottom piece on the left, and the new one on the right. Getting it this close is good enough for me!
Everything is coming together nicely. Next up is trying to get the face frame together and attached. I have been trying to keep keep track of the time I have been working on it, so far it’s around 32-34 hours.
Thanks for looking!
-- "Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too..." - Judge Smails