Before attaching the legs, I had a lot of work to do to prep the table top for finishing.
Even though it was on the underside, I still wanted to eliminate all the dried glue, so I busted out the card scraper and got to work.
That’s a lot of chips!
Last thing was to cut the top to final length, which I side using a Craftsmen circular saw. Although it was really getting bogged down on the 8/4” oak, it managed to get the job done.
Then I predrilled and countersunk some holes in order to screw on the top.
After lots and lots and lots and lots of sanding, I was reading g to paint t the legs I decided on Milk Paint, which comes in a powder form, and is left to the user to mix in water. I grabbed a mixer from the kitchen and hooked it up in my drill to help speed up the process.
The directions ay to let it stand for 10-15 minutes before use, which is a great time to tape off the top and clean up a little. Luckily, I had a helper.
I was surprised at how smooth the paint went on, and that it was very easy to work with. The directions recommended using a sponge brush, so I picked this little guy up for about $1.75 at HD, and it really worked well.
The only thing I learned is that I had to mix this paint more frequently than regular paint, about every 5 minutes or so. I’m starting to see the light at the end if the tunnel, now, and it really feels good.
This will probably be my last blog entry on this project, as all I have to do now is sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, and, oh… and sand the top.
Thanks for following along!
-- "Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too..." - Judge Smails