So the last picture in my previous post showed the wood I bought for the top. After looking at the post again, I didn’t feel the picture did the wood justice. So here’s a couple closer shots to see how impressively thick it is.
I was too excited to get started planing and I forgot to take pictures of the four large beams. The boards were originally 12 long, these are the 4’ cutoffs from them, which I plan to use for the chairs/bench.
So after a considerable amount of time and effort, the 4 big pieces were finally flat.
And by considerable, I mean I really, really, really large amount of time and effort.
A special thanks to my bbuddy and co-worker who helped with the process. I figured that trying to clamp all 4 pieces at once would be very difficult, so I decided to do 2 at a time first, then glue the two sides together.
This is when is got a little crazy. The clamps slightly damaged the inside edges that I wanted to clamp together next. Sooo, I needed to run the edge back through the table saw to clean them up. The only problem was the pieces now weighed a ton, and I knew that it would be impossible to keep it flush against the fence. A lightbulb went off in my head, and I was able to set up my second saw as an infeed table and clamp down an auxiliary fence.
Again some thanks go to my buddy for helping, as I dont think would have been able to process these pieces without him. After that, I clamped it all together and was happy to have 1 solid piece.
Last thing to do was transport it back to my house for assembly and finishing. It looks a little bigger in my garage, or I guess my garage is just a lot smaller than the shop at work.
Next up, sanding, staining, finishing.
-- "Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too..." - Judge Smails