So it’s been a while since I posted anything on my table, despite my continued work on it. Sometimes I find its really hard to carve out a portion of the day to do this, but I feel like its really cool to document all the work that goes into something like this. So the last entry I made showed both of the sides getting assembled, and now its time cut the long stretchers that go in between. This was a fairly physically demanding task, and the board really cantilevered over the edge of my table saw:
Moving that much maple back and forth is no joke, but it was really cool to get to see the table finally standing up on its own:
After I had it together, I was able to strike a line where the tenon stuck out of the short stretchers, and then offset that line a 1/32” in order to leave room for the “key” to really suck the two pieces together. Next, it was back to the drill press to make some more mortises…
if you thought this piece really stuck off the side of my table saw, you should have seen me trying to hold it down on a drill press! Luckily, we have 2 identical drill presses that are side-by-side, so I was able to move the one a littel closer and use both tables for added support.
Once I was done drilling out, it was back to doing some more chisel work. Surprisingly, it went fairly smoothly, although chiseling through maple is never really easy. After finding a good piece to use for the tenon key, I beveled it using a belt sander and pounded it together.
The joinery is so tight that I didn’t even require the use of any clamps, which is very fortunate because I don’t have any clamps that are that long. My plan is to remove the key when painting the base, and then pounding it back in with only a clear coat of poly to add contrast & draw people’s attention to the exposed joinery.
Next up- I get to wrestle with the planer by trying to flatten some 8/4” Oak boards for the table top.
Wish me luck….
-- "Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too..." - Judge Smails