After finally finishing with the incredibly large mortise and tenon joints in the legs, I still had one more set of mortises to drill and chisel. Ugh. At least this time it was a smaller scale, only going through a 1-1/2” bottom stretcher. Both the drilling and chiseling went a lot smoother, and it definitely helped that I spent 20 minutes sharpening the chisels.
The plans called for draw-boring the M&Ts, but I was afraid if I fit them together it would be a real PITA to get em back apart, so I decided to just drill/pin them. First thing I did was to clamp everything together super tight.
Next, using a 1/4” bit I drilled through the leg and into the tenon, then switched to a 7/32” bit to finish the tenon and into the other portion of the leg. This gave me a tapered hole, which should help to keep the 1/4” dowels im using for pins locked in place. To ease with assembly, I gave a slight taper to the end of the pins, as I did in the first entry of this series.
I added a few drops of glue down the holes and finished tapping all of the dowels in place. Just for fun, I checked the fit of the top stretcher, and everything looks great.
I decided not to pin those in place because I wanted to add a top stretcher, which will require another dado to be cut across the top. Next up is finishing the long stretchers and the base will be ready for full assembly!
-- "Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too..." - Judge Smails