These are by far the largest, most difficult mortise and tenon joints I’ve ever attempted. 1” wide by 5” long, through 3-1/2” thick maple. After marking them out, I used a 1” forstener bit to hog out most of the material.
There was so much vibration I needed to use a clamp on both sides to stabilize the workpiece.
I was worried about being able to chisel out the other material after I drilled it, so I stamped the border with a chisel so I had it already started.
After drilling out all of the holes, it was time to square up the mortises using a nice, sharp chisel. This was very time consuming due to the thickness of the legs.
After lots and lots and lots of chiseling, all 4 of the legs mortises were complete. Phew, as I said, very time consuming.
The Tenon’s were not that difficult to produce, as I only needed to take off a small amount of material. I did it on the table saw, and only fitted the first 1/2” because I was afraid if I put them all the way in I might not be able to get them back apart.
Next up, I need to cut out 2 more mortises on those bottom rails, and then hopefully ( and thankfully) will be done with chisel work.
Thanks for looking, hopefully the next update will be up soon
-- "Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too..." - Judge Smails