After fixing the holes in the legs, it was time to square up the top supports and begin on the large motise and tenon joints on the underbracing. I started by finding the center of the supports and measuring out from there:
After that, I carefully marked out what needed to be removed:
I used a combination of a 3/8” mortise bit (for the corners), a 2” forstener bit (for the large middle section), and a hand chisel to clean up everything else.
A dado bit on the table saw made the large Tenon’s on the tops of the legs.
I plan on draw boring the top, but can’t yet do that until I finish the M&Ts on the cross beams on the bottom. The reality of the size and weight of this table is now starting to sink in, and I feel like it’s going to be massive.
-- "Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too..." - Judge Smails