So I first must apologize because I didn’t take any pictures of drilling the holes for the top piece. Essentially, the top and bottom are mirror images, just with the top adding the 2 sets of offset holes for the candy to feed down through and into the slider.
Anywho, I’m going to pick it up with the spout, and then assembly. For the spout, I wanted to make it all one piece because I never do good with lots of tiny pieces. My best thought was to cut a piece 1-3/4” wide, and then cut out a 1-1/4” Dado the length of the piece. Now all that was left to do was cut the proper angle:
I originally thought 45 degrees would work, but after cutting the first piece I realized how steep that angle actually was. I ended up moving over to 30 and that worked out much better, allow for more clearance from under the slider.
I started assembly by gluing on the spouts with some fast acting CA glue, then painted the main body red. After that, attaching the base was easy, simply using some glue and 16 gauge brads. For the sliders, I wanted a front face attached so I could easily screw in a knob, so I placed them in their respective dado slots, and glued on a thin piece of oak making sure that the front face did not slip above the top of the body.
After the sliders were fit into place, I used a 1-1/2” Wood screw to hold them into place. The picture above shows not only one of the screws, but also the bottom of the slider, so you can see the Keyhole track. the great thing about the screws is that you can adjust them so they fit “just right” by simply tightening or loosening them.
Here is a pic of the final sliders right before the top went on:
you can see that even though the weight of the fronts should make the sliders fall, the screw holds it in place because of the keyhole track.
-- "Well, the world needs ditch-diggers too..." - Judge Smails