Yesterday, I stopped by a certain big blue retailer to pick up the materials for my bench. I spent just a hair over $30.00 on a 12’ 2×12, some stain, some wipe on poly, and some Titebond II. I got started about 9 AM Eastern, and took lots of pics.
First, the aforementioned wood:
As I mentioned yesterday, I had them cut it into 6’ sections so it would fit in the Grand Cherokee. Also, the aforementioned liquid stuff:
As any rational human being would do, I started by firing up the circular saw and going to town chopping the 2×12 to more manageable sizes. First, the sections designated as the seat and the stretcher:
And, of course, the legs:
Now, the section for the stretcher is obviously far, far to wide to use as is…well, obvious if you know the design (and maybe if you don’t). So, I had to rip it down. I took a moment and made sure my circular saw blade was tightened down, to see if that could be the cause of some of my problems. Sure enough, it was loose, so now the saw can handle anything!
Here’s the ripped down stretcher with the rest of the boards being used:
I then needed to plane the boards square and even. I decided to use by Norvell Shapleigh block plane, because I know it’s sharp. Well, the question is, is it sharp enough? Here’s the pic I snapped after the first run with the block plane:
I really was hoping to get to this point today, but figured “what the heck” and went to town. I busted out the jig saw and gave the stretcher it’s rough shape. I didn’t snap a pick of that unfortunately. However, I did get one of me ripping for the tenon on the end. The design calls for a through tenon with a wedge (wedged tenon I guess?), so ripping was essential. I used a Japanese “Z” saw for this function. Frankly, I don’t like it to much. It’s progressive teeth were a pain in my butt. Still, it did get the job done. Here’s the proof:
After that, I cut out the shapes I wanted with the jig saw on the legs. The tenons are visible on the top.
There was a lot done, and I feel great about how much got accomplished. There were some problems however. Apparently, my jigsaw likes to cut at an angle from time to time, so I’ll need to take the spokeshave and clean that up. Also, I managed to stab myself with a chisel while cleaning up the tenons. That’s the reason for those red splotches on the legs. I just hope I can get them cleaned up well enough!
Still, it’s coming along great. Tomorrow will be focused mostly on shaping the legs and cleaning up the tenons on the legs. Still, that’s a LOT of work, but I’m up for it!
-- "Give me your poor tools, your tired steel, your huddled masses of rust." Yep, I ripped off the Statue of Liberty. That's how I roll!