So this morning I’m going to start by cutting the holes for the weather instruments.
I find the center of the panel and mark a line in pencil, then lines 1” on either side to give me 2” between the holes.
I set my dividers to 1 1/4” and scribe two 2 1/2” circles.
I use a brace and a forstner bit to make a small hole to get my saw blade through. Now it’s just a matter of cutting close to the line with the coping saw and then refining the hole with a rasp until the instruments fit snugly.
Now I have all the major “joinery” finished and I’m really close to glue-up.
Before I jump into applying glue there is some clean-up that needs to be done.
The first thing I do is re-sharpen my #4 smoother and really spend some time on the show face of the maple panel. I take very thin shavings with very little pressure on the plane so I don’t bruise the face of the material with a corner of the plane, and I’m constantly checking the finish. I’m not going to sand this surface at all so I need it to be pristine right off the plane.
I then go over all of the frame parts to get rid of any pecil marks and chamfer the long grain edges a little bit. these parts will get a little more work after the glue-up.
With all of that out of the way I apply a little bit of finish to the areas that will be hard to reach later. Mainly the inside corners and the edge of the panel that will be in the groove of the frame. Just one coat.
I mask off the edges of the miters to help clean up any squeeze out. I get all my tape in place and organize my parts.
I spread a thin layer of glue on all the surfaces, get all the pieces in place, and apply some light clamping pressure to hold things in place.
It’s abit of a rainy day here today so this is as far as I’ll go right now. I’ll let this sit as it is over night and tomorrow I’ll do the last bit of clean-up and start applying the finish.