Next on the list was plugging all the screw holes and drilling holes for the recliner bar.
I was considering making the plugs out of oak with a plug cutter but after making a test board with the stain and poly I planned to use on the project, I really liked the contrast between regular dowels and the rest of the chair so I opted to go that route. All the plugs were glued in and cut flush to the surface. Thanks much to my fiancee, Dani, for all her help plugging! I know she has a lot of experienced with plugged holes, so I thought she’d be a great help.
I also cut the 45 degree cut outs on the bottom of the back rest. This allows for the backrest to recline further back than 90 degrees.
I also made the second mistake of my project here. The front-most hole in the armrest was drilled about an 1/8” too far to the right. I later fixed that by clamping a thin piece of scrap over the whole thing, redrawing my center lines, and drilling straight through again. This left a little crescent shaped “pocket” to the right of the final hole, but I filled it in with wood putty. It will hardly be seen anyway since the recliner support bar will cover it 66% of the time (unless it;s set into place in the furthest back location.
-- Tim Bridge, Northern NJ,"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." Pete Seeger