Here I’ve added the additional front stretecher to span the gap created by my previous mistake. I actually think it looks better this way so all went well. Now it gives the front seat slat something against which to anchor. I forgot to mention that the front seat slat has notches cut into the sides so it fits snuggly against the lets and sits a bit proud from the front plane of the chair.
I then realized that I forgot to route the 1/4” round overs on all the tops of the seat slats so I took them all off and ran them through the router table. I also routed a 1/4” roundover on both sides of the arm rests.
As I mentioned before, the warping was presenting an issue. I couldn’t get the arm rests to rest flat against the legs with the 1-1/4” screws I was using. So I drilled pilot holes for 3 ” deck screws and put them in a few strategically placed spots to pull the wood straight.
I noticed that three of the slats seem pretty weak. I don’t think they’d break unless someone either purposely tried to snap em or accidentally put all their weight on the weak ones.
Thus, I plan to cut another Seat Support like I have on the sides against the legs and install it directly in the center underneath of the slats. It will be anchored with pocket holes to the front stretcher and rear support bar.
1/2 way there now (w/ assembly, at least)! Next is building the Back/ Then plugging all the screw holes (I’m thinking of using Oak, Maple, or Walnut. Finally, finishing and mounting the back with a piano hinge.
-- Tim Bridge, Northern NJ,"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." Pete Seeger