My plan today was to build a workbench for the new workshop. I had the day to myself and wanted to get the thing built before I had to start dinner. This is actually a lofty goal since I had no idea what I was building. I didn’t plan much, I stopped by Agent Orange on the way home from work yesterday and asked them to rip a sheet of MDF to 23-1/2 “ wide. Got some 2×3 pine to along with that, total price, $28. The rest of the materials were things I had saved from my old shop, a couple of 4×4 redwoods and some 1×3 poplars.
I did know the bench would be built permanently onto the wall, it would have a way to clamp wood for planning and cutting dovetails and tenons. That was it. My last work bench was an IKEA stepstool I had purchased for $9.99. It’s design would inspire my new workbench by having a multipurpose slot on the top.
So I went to work. Now, I’m not good at taking pictures of the procedures since it slows down my creative process. But this is the final product. Six hours of work and about $60 worth of materials. I hope it works. The slot is designed for my Japanese saw, it cuts on the pull stroke, so I use the downward force to hold down the wood. This notch gives me clearance as I like to kneel and cut on the down stroke.
The front slots is for clamps, there’s plenty of holes so it offers plenty of flexibility. I have more ideas on jigs and attachment for my bench, but that will have to wait for later.
The top is held down my gravity and wood dowels, hammered in and cut flushed. This lets me flip the top and change it should it wears.
After dinner, I continued working on the shop and found a used for an old bamboo ladder. I had a left over cherry door form one of my kitchen client, I used it on the white bookshelf even though it didn’t fit. It thought it looks better with it. Next step is to make wall cabinets from the old shelving the last owner left behind.