No voiceover today. I needed just under 18” to make the top, so I opted to make the panel out of 3 – 6” wide boards. I chose 6” because that is pretty much the maximum capacity of my jointer. I got to use my biscuit joiner for the first time on this project. I got it for a steal on clearance last year and have been waiting to use it ever since. Once I got it dialed in, it was pretty easy to use. The joints lined up perfectly with the biscuits aiding in the alignment and I didn’t need to sand the joints hardly at all.
I chose to do tongue-and-groove breadboard ends on this lid mainly because I am not set up for traditional breadboard ends. I know that I will be criticized for the decision to fully glue the ends onto the piece, but It was my call and I think the lid looks much more finished and will be stronger with the breadboard-style ends on it.
Trimming the lid to fit was a bit of a challenge. I ended up with the front of the bench being just under 1/8” wider than the back, so I rigged up a micro-taper jig of sorts on the jointer to make that tiny 0.2 degree angle.
I am using a stay-open, soft-close hinge for the top. I made a test assembly first, then I used part of the assembly as a guide to set up my depth and fence on the drill press.
Enjoy the video!