As promised, pictures! I’ll warn you now, I take a lot of them :D
First of all, here I am in my ‘shop’, and I use that term loosely!
You can see basically all the equipment I have: Ridgid saw, Ryobi SCMS and Drill Press and a Mastercraft (Canadian Tire special) Router and Router Table. I’m pretty happy with all the equipment, but the router and table are pretty cheap. They’ll do for now.
So the first big part of this project was the resawing of the Tigerwood. Since I only had the table saw this required a fair bit of reading and planning.
Here is the setup I used:
And a closeup of the ZCI I made, microsplitter jig from Lee Valley, and featherboard also from LV. I used a Dimar thin kerf 24T ripping blade.
Here is a cut in progress:
I did the cuts in roughly 1/2” increments, and eventually ended up with a pile of 1/2” boards:
A planer would have been REALLY helpful here, but I don’t have one. A quick pass with a hand sander took care of most of the imperfections.
The next step was to rip down the Rosewood. The smart thing is probably to use veneer to do the inlay, but I’m not quite ready for that. Instead, I ripped the Rosewood into 1/4” x 1/4” square ‘dowels’ on the same resaw setup. This will be inlaid into a 3/16” deep channel and sanded flush. The ripping went very well at this stage as well:
Now for those of you that want to see just how well this resawing setup worked, here is the offcut from the Rosewood, in DIVX video format: http://members.shaw.ca/WinnipegDragon/thin.avi
Yeah, it’s practically veneer :)
Next the Tigerwood boards were routed along the edge with a 45 degree locking miter bit. This will make the main case of the clock nice and clean with no fastener.
And here is the routing for the inlay. This will be on the face and the back of the clock. The round sections will be filled with plugs cut from 1/2” Cherry dowels, and the straight sections will obviously have the Rosewood. Hopefully it will be a nice contrast between the three woods.
And finally, here are the pieces ready to inlay and assemble, along with the cutoffs which I’ll have handy for a future project.
Tomorrow I’ll start cutting, shaping and gluing the inlay!
I filled three kitchen bags with the stuff, just from resawing the Tigerwood!
-- I'm just learning how to cut the stuff with some other stuff...