So although I couldn’t get my saw up and fully running, I realized that I had time to finish up another side project, which was assembling this fun little toy:
Jessem router table with a Triton 3 1/4HP router. Since the router has an integrated lift, this table only has a Jessem plate, not one of the Jessem lifts. However, I did spring for the Mast-r-Fence, Mast-r-Top and the Paralign featherboards. All in all, it’s a really nice little system.
Having said that, since nothing is ever easy I did run in to a few problems.
First, I bought the top from a local dealer and it was old stock. No big deal, but the new phenolic tops have aluminum T-tracks as well as mitre slots. This older one just has a since T-slot routed directly into the phenolic. I hope it will hold up.
Second, this old top does not match the new ones for screw sizes. According to the manual, it should take M5×12mm screws for both screwing to the stand and screwing on the tracks for the fence, but this one is not tapped that way. It is close but very tight. So tight, I could not twist them all the way in with an allen key. I ended up having to put in three (!!!) M5 washers and torquing the screws down with a socket set. It’s not going anywhere, but it was an unexpected issue.
Finally, my last issue was with mounting the Triton router. The baseplate screws from Triton are very, very short, something like a quarter inch in length. As you can imagine that makes for very little leeway when drilling the plate. As it is, I had to countersink the screws 1/2” in the plate, and I don’t trust it to hold the weight. I should have bought longer screws but I didn’t think it through before firing up the drill press and going to town.
As such, I am now paranoid about the router breaking loose during operation and that scares the hell out of me. I fear the router more than anything else in my shop. I’m ordering a new insert and I’ll buy some longer screws.
-- I'm just learning how to cut the stuff with some other stuff...