The easy part’s over—all of the base components have been glued up, trued up, and evened up.
After gluing the pieces together to make the rough leg components, I squared up the surfaces with a hand plane, and then sent everything back through the thickness planer to insure uniform thickness. Then, it was time to cut everything to final length. I hate this part—it’s one of my favorite ways to mess up.
While the legs were a-gluing, I skip-planed the stock for the rails and stretchers. Since no glue-up was necessary here, I was mainly concerned with uniform thickness to make tenoning easier. I was now able to determine their final length since the leg thickness was now a known quantity, and cut accordingly (adding 2” on each end for the tenon!—anybody here ever forget that?).
As you can see, I went ahead and cut the short cheeks of my tenons. This will allow me to accurately mark to cut the length of the individual mortises. Of course, I’ll have to keep all the pieces organized from this point on.
Cleaning up the tenon cheeks gave me a chance to try out my new shoulder plane. Since I use the router table for my tenons, this was a necessary step made MUCH easier by Veritas’ ductile iron wonder tool. How I got by without one up till now is a mystery to me. I’ll be making a separate blog post to properly sing my praises of that little gem.
Now comes the hard part—28 mortise-and-tenon joints.
Guess I’d better get busy.
-- Robert - Visit my woodworking blog: http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com