LumberJocks

Segmented Stave Bowl

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by TheDane updated 561 days ago 4 parts 6871 reads 12 comments total

Part 1: Day One

564 days ago by TheDane | 2 comments »

Technically, what I am working on here is a ‘Stave Bowl’ ... a bowl comprised of vertical staves (like a barrel) glued together before turning. This particular bowl will turn out to be about 7 1/2” in diameter and 2 3/4” tall. The bottom and vertical spacers are walnut, and the staves are maple. I used a software package ( WOODTurnerPro … http://woodturnerpro.com ) to calculate the cutting angles and dimensions for the staves and segments. I cut the staves ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Day Two

563 days ago by TheDane | 3 comments »

With the glue dry on the two halves of the bowl, I needed to make sure they would mate up properly when glued together. I use a piece of melamine shelf board with a strip of 80-grit paper glued to it to true the two halves. I shade both ends of the half bowl with a lead pencil and sand until the marks are gone. They actually weren’t very far off, but why take the chance? I then glued the vertical spacers to the two halves, and glued the halves together. I taped the joints, then u...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Day Three - Finally Turning

562 days ago by TheDane | 2 comments »

The blank dried overnight, so it is time to pull the tape off, install the Cole Jaws on my chuck, and mount the glued-up blank. After tooling off the end of the blank (full disclosure: I use used a carbide R2 cutter to get the end of the blank close to flat), I used a piece of plywood with adhesive back sandpaper to true it up. Next, I cut a mortise in the end of the blank to accept a tenon on the bottom. This mortise is a proud 3/16” deep. The bottom of the mortise needs to be as...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Day Four - At Last!

561 days ago by TheDane | 5 comments »

The glued up blank and bottom sat in the clamp overnight and we are ready to turn. I used my carbide R2 cutter to rough out the inside of the bowl. I switched to a bowl gouge to clean up the inside and sanded it with my self-powered sander. I used the carbide to rough the outside of the bowl, a bowl gouge to get it to final dimension, and sanded it while it was still mounted on the scroll chuck. Next, out came the Longworth Chuck to shape and finish the bottom of the bowl. I cut a...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase