The Saga of Pen #22 #1: Day One

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by TheDane posted 08-10-2013 07:51 PM 1674 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of The Saga of Pen #22 series Part 2: Day Two »

The first time I turned a pen, I think it took me a little over three hours. That was in a class with 11 other students and a very patient instructor (THANK YOU, Duane Hill).

The next couple of pens went a little quicker, and as my skills improved a bit, I became more confident. So much so that when the local AAW affiliate I belonged to back then undertook a commitment to turn pens for active duty troops serving overseas, I decided to step up to the plate and do my part.

It was then that I learned that turning pens in greater volume (25 or so at a crack) was a little different than knocking out two or three in a weekend.

I have been turning Freedom Pens for about 2 years now, and will soon surpass the 400 mark. To do so, and keep my sanity, I had to develop a little system to make the process more efficient. Barring unforeseen circumstances (like life getting in the way), it usually takes me about three days to turn out a batch of 25 pens.

Day One

The pen kits (7mm Funline Slimline kits) arrive from Sarge Kelly in a USPS box. The kits are individually packed in plastic bags, with 4 of the components inside each packaged in their own little bag. I open each kit, cut the small envelopes, remove the contents, and sort them in one of the plastic organizers I picked up at the big box.

The brass tubes have a coating that may cause adherence problems for glue, so I load them onto a mandrel on the lathe and give them a quick sanding with 80 grit to rough up the brass.

I don’t buy pen ‘blanks’ ... I make mine from lumber scraps I buy at a cabinet shop down the road (the guy sells me a 5-gallon pail of scraps that are 18”-24” long for $2.50). I cut the scraps into 3/4” wide x 3/4” thick strips on the tablesaw …

... then head to the bandsaw where I cut the blanks down to size using a little sled I made for that purpose. The blanks are numbered, which helps me keep track of grain direction. I don’t like to waste wood, so each half of the pen blank is cut to 2 3/32”.

Now we head to the drill press where another shop-built jig helps drill the hole in the center for the tube.

An important side note … I had all kinds of problems getting the holes straight and the right size for a long time. If I had not been using a gap-filling glue, I would have been sunk. It turned out the bit I was using (an el cheapo) had some serious runout, so even though the jig was solid and I was hitting the approximate center, there was so much runout that the hole would be wallowed out to something more than 7mm. Since I switched to Whiteside bits, the holes are straight and I get a nice snug fit. You just cannot beat quality cutting tools! ‘Nuff said.

Next, we start gluing. I use Titebond Polyurethane glue and an insertion tool I bought from PSI.

By this time, I am usually ready to call it a day, so even though the glue dries in 30 to 45 minutes, I let it sit overnight.

-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"

1 comment so far

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

10091 posts in 4046 days

#1 posted 08-10-2013 11:53 PM


Production poetry in motion…

Thank you.

-- Have Fun! Joe Lyddon - Alta Loma, CA USA - Home: ... My Small Gallery:"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics