The blank dried overnight, so it is time to pull the tape off, install the Cole Jaws on my chuck, and mount the glued-up blank.
After tooling off the end of the blank (full disclosure: I use used a carbide R2 cutter to get the end of the blank close to flat), I used a piece of plywood with adhesive back sandpaper to true it up.
Next, I cut a mortise in the end of the blank to accept a tenon on the bottom. This mortise is a proud 3/16” deep. The bottom of the mortise needs to be as close to perfectly flat as you can get it.
I removed the blank from the lathe, and swapped out the Cole Jaws for the #3 jaws on the scroll chuck, then mounted the walnut bottom disk and cut a tenon to match the mortise in the blank. It took a number of test fits to get as close to perfect a fit as possible.
Over on the bench, I used a liberal amount of glue on both the bottom disk and the blank …
... then clamped and glued them.
That’s it for today … the glue needs to get completely dry, and I need to fix the landscape lights (blown transformer), shovel the snow off the deck, and fire up the BBQ grill to cook dinner tonight.
-- Gerry -- "I don't plan to ever really grow up ... I'm just going to learn how to act in public!"