This cello is old, worn, not commercially valuable, all solid timber and sounds very nice. I don’t seek out repair
work, this instrument belongs to the wife of a musical pal.
I’ve added repairs to a second instrument in this blog.
The neck came unstuck when the cello was knocked over. I found out the neck block was also cracked and the top & bottom separated at the neck block. Part of the ” button ” broke off with the neck. The button is an extension of the back and goes a long way in keeping the neck from hingeing forward at the top face. The neck joint is only a V shaped butt joint. All these faults had to be repaired before I could put the neck back on.
Glue worked into crack.
Clamping top and bottom to neck block.
Hot hide glue is used for violin work for two reasons. It is easily reversible, so repair work is possible and if the fiddle takes a knock the joint fails instead of the timber. I usually use an inverted iron to heat the glue but mine carked it awhile ago.
The bonus was getting the bridge flat again, it was bent like a banana. The curved side was wet out, then clamped and put out in the sun.
Graphite at the nut and bridge.
The cello lives to sing again.
-- Mama calls me Texcaster but my real name is Mr. Earl.