Well, I went ahead and ordered the pin-handle-sawblade kit from Gramercy. I put the order in on Wednesday, the stuff was in my mailbox on Friday, and it came through via priority mail because I’m too cheap to have it overnighted. Now, I don’t care who you are, that’s fast. I didn’t need the overnight service.
The pins are a nicely turned brass, and I epoxied them into the handles today. Until I have my lathe built, I’m going to call that one good. I would say that for where I’m at right now, that was money well spent.
I ran into a problem, however; the blade was about 1-1/2” shorter than what I had planned on. I had been roughly following plans that called for a longer blade, so I wound up keeping my original walnut cross-beam and making a second one out of cherry that will match the length, if not the aesthetics. Truth be told, cherry is my favorite wood anyway, so it’s all good, and I’ll have the ability to use a longer blade in the future. In the mean time, I’ll be up and running whenever I get to town and find some braided fishing line. I’ll post pictures when I get that far.
Time to go eat some humble pie now.
-- There's no tool like an old tool...