Let me start with a rant.
Specialty woodworking stores are quite a drive for me so I don’t get to go very often. I chose to go to Woodcarft because it’s a more enjoyable drive. Upon arriving I found out that the supply of small box hardware on hand was terrible (almost non-existent) many items were out of stock and my choices were severely limited. the size of my stock also severely limited my choices.
Why does Woodcraft not stock the same metal finish for their small box locks as they do for the hinges?? This makes no sense, but I’m kinda stuck at this point. Next time I’ll try Rockler or order on line. By the way none of the small box hardware has any instructions or tips so fitting everything has been trial and error.
End of Rant.
I’m finally getting the hardware attached.
I started by cutting the rabbets for the hinges
I don’t have many pics of this process. I initially marked the height of the plate as the depth of the rabbet.
I then used a brad point drill to cut the curved bit for the hinge. Then pared down to the line I marked previously. The hinges I chose have the arch support that keep the lid from opening too far and I had to make a mortise for those to go into. I drilled the mortise for the hinge support and attempted to clean it ups as best I could. I need to get a 1/8” chisel for sure, it would have helped out greatly for this.
Initially I wasn’t too happy with the result so I set it aside to work on the pens instead.
I tried fitting the hinges and found out that using the thickness of the plate was a mistake I need to use half the height of the hinge. I was also hampered by the narrow stock of the material. I tried leaving a sliver of wood to hide the hinges but the wood was just not cooperating.
Several test fits later I managed to get both hinges attached only to find out that the alignment of the top and bottom are off. Off with the hinges Here’s a tip. Keep a supply of wooden toothpick handy for filling holes as re-drilling for proper alignment is a common thing. At least it was for me.
If you look carefully on this you will also see a repair to the sidewall I wasn’t paying attention to the angle of the chisel while clearing the mortise and wound up slicing through the side of the box.
More sawdust and CA to fix my own error Hopefully this hides a bit more once the final finish is on.
Fortunately removing the material for the lock mechanism was much more successful. I found the center of the front panel and marked out the dimensions for the lock.
Notice the knot and swirled grain. This is gonna be slow and go.
Then I started clearing away material. Have I mentioned that this wood is VERY Hard and VERY brittle? Especially in this kind of swirl.
I had a hard time getting tools inside the box to work. and the changing grain and knot also really slowed progress. All of my handles are too lung to fit so I had to get creative. I wound up using the blade out of my 12-101 block plane to clean the lines and keep them straight.
Before getting too carried away with stock removal I figured I should get the holes drilled for the key.
I measured and marked carefully to determine the location to drill through.
I actually drilled two holes to accommodate the shape of the key.
Close enough for now. I’ll clean this up with files one the rest of the stock is removed.
With the stock removal complete and the hinges re-position a second time. Here is where I’m at.
I need to adjust the height of the lock mechanism (the mount screw hole is drilled a bit high)
And I need to adjust the top hinge attachment a bit more.
More Toothpicks and CA
This is where it was at when I left for work this morning. All I need to do now is the final hardware fitting and then it’s on to sanding and final finishing.
-- - Terry