LumberJocks

Treasure Box #6: Clean up and First Look at what finish will be.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by TerryDowning posted 03-14-2014 10:58 PM 610 reads 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 5: Dry fit and glue up Part 6 of Treasure Box series Part 7: separating the top from the bottom. »

Previously I completed the glue up.

After the glue cured, I removed the clamps and got started cleaning everything up.

I trimmed off the excess material on the pins using my 60 1/2 LA Block Plane which worked great.

I did notice a small crack in the top panel (Which I already knew about before the glue up. And with the pins cleared off, gaps from poor fitting began to show. I experimented with a couple of adhesives and saw dust as gap fillers. I tried the hide glue with saw dust and felt the result would be too dark. So I went with Sawdust and CA Glue to fill the gaps.

First fill the crack on the top panel. I’m using straight CA for this. Starting with this as it will take a couple of applications to fill completely and it needs time to cure in between applications.

Lets look at what we have to work with so far.

Front Panel Gaps on the dove tails and some tear out from the plane.

right Panel (Looking pretty good)

Back Panel Even larger gaps a knot and some tear out.

Left panel some small gaps around a previous repair where I accidentally cut all the way through instead of mitering around the pins. Visible lower left.

Bottom Panel

Top Panel

The next day I sanded the CA from the crack on the top.

And then applied a second coat of CA to the crack

Now for those Gaps around the Dovetails on the back panel

Helpful hint: Make sure to trap and save some of the saw dust or sanding dust from the same wood you’re working with. I just took it off my miter saw after cutting the panels and put it in a dixie cup.

I smashed and tamped sawdust into the crack using my finger and small stick.

Then applied some CA Glue

Did this to all of the cracks and gaps yu can see the first one on the bottom right is already starting to lighten up.

Let sit over night.

Before:

After: I Hit it with 120 sand paper to remove all of the proud material and excess CA.

After all of the gaps are filled.

Before I left for work this morning, I hit it with some dexawed shellac

After initial drying and just before I left.
Front

Back

Rear Oblique Left side of Box

Front Oblique Right side of box

More finish to come. This is just a first coat and will mostly get sanded off. I was just impatient to get an idea of how the finish would look and how the filled gaps would look.

It’s looking much better now than I was originally dreading.

-- - Terry



7 comments so far

View terryR's profile (online now)

terryR

3115 posts in 966 days


#1 posted 03-14-2014 11:22 PM

That plum is awesome, Terry! Box is coming along nicely, bud…

-- tr ...see one, do one, teach one...

View TerryDowning's profile

TerryDowning

1004 posts in 775 days


#2 posted 03-14-2014 11:29 PM

Thanks.

It is starting to look much better. I was freaking out a few days ago before the glue up.

The plum is pretty and I like the look of it. But it’s very hard, very brittle and a just a PITA to work with, lots of tearing even with the sharpest, high angle, mouth as tight as I can get, skew the angle of attack, none of it helps. It tears some where on the pass.

Chiseling even paring caused the opposite side to break no matter how little pressure or how backing support was there. The chisel gets close to the edge and there’s a 50 505 change it will break. Very Brittle.

Good learning experience. But very difficult to make it look pretty in the joints.

I’m much happier now.

I’m limiting my tooling to sanding now.

-- - Terry

View shipwright's profile

shipwright

4981 posts in 1455 days


#3 posted 03-15-2014 12:27 AM

Looking good Terry.

-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fiberglass trees. http://prmdesigns.com/

View NormG's profile

NormG

4185 posts in 1661 days


#4 posted 03-15-2014 12:29 AM

Great design

-- Norman

View Mean_Dean's profile

Mean_Dean

1468 posts in 1805 days


#5 posted 03-15-2014 12:31 AM

You’re very right about the learning experience! Every mistake you make you’ll learn from, and that’s how you get better. You did an excellent job filling in the gaps in the dovetails. That CA glue/sawdust technique worked really well, as you can’t see the gaps even with the shellac on.

Keep learn’n and keep up the good work!

-- Dean

View Tim's profile

Tim

1270 posts in 619 days


#6 posted 03-15-2014 12:36 AM

Might have been tough, but worth it. Sure looks sweet.

View Slyy's profile

Slyy

1091 posts in 313 days


#7 posted 03-15-2014 11:29 PM

Terry, what an excellent choice of material to use for this box, the sides on that plum look stunning. It’s gonna be great to see this finished. Thanks for taking us all on the ride with you!

-- Jake -- "Not only do we live among the stars, the stars live within us." - Neil Degrasse Tyson

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase