Ok, so the tops are dry fit, and I have a clue how to assemble. but with out a stable platform to sit on the floor it’s still useless.
The feet will be joined to the uprights with mortise and tenon joints. Simple enough, cut tenons on the bottom of the uprights approximately 1” wide.
In stumpy’s video he demonstrates a rather innovative approach to creating mortises.
Feet material is 2×6 18” in length
mark the center of the foot, and layout the width of the uprights centered approximately 1 1/2 ” apart.
Cut the walls of the mortise
Then remove material 1/2 the width of the tenon.
I used my (new to me) Millers Falls 85 duplexing fillster plane for this and it worked great. This one has a depth stop, so with the depth stop adjusted it’s just a matter of plowing throw dadoes until you have the width covered.
You need to do this 4 times 1 for each leg.
This makes it easy to fit the tenons for width and depth. Once the tenons are snug and fitting correctly. Rip the boards in half and glue back together to form the mortises.
Dry fit and rehearse the glue up!! I did not do this enough and introduced several issues.
Did I mention rehearsing? I did not rehearse this joint nearly enough and I’m still paying for it.
I didn’t make this joint clean enough and did not rehearse it’s assembly and glue up. As a result it was not fitted correctly and this introduced all kinds of issues.
The height of the uprights are now different between the regular side and wagon side since the upright on the wagon side is not seated completely, this made the leg longer. It also introduced significant twist to the top. I had to trim the tenon shoulder to adjust for the difference. This also introduced wobble into the completed piece. If I build another one of these, I will fasten the feet to the uprights first. Then negotiate the top. I’m still making adjustments to the feet as there is till wobble in the completed bench.
Did I mention rehearsing? Lesson learned!!
The dovetails are square though.
You can see the gaps on the finger joint in this photo as well.
Feet draw bored in place joints glued. It was still a bit wobbly but adding a stringer dovetailed between the uprights solved that.
Let the trimming and clean-up begin!
Need to trim those tenons off
Basic trimming complete and a usable bench. At this point I still needed to bore the dog holes in the wagon and top, but the bench is now usable as a saw bench.
Dog holes bored out
First test of the wagon vise. It works!! You can also see that the laminated 2×4s for the wagon vise side were not as wide as the 2×6 upright material so I fitted some 1×4 material into those spaces on either side.
After this test, I realized a flaw in the wedge. I did not make it long enough and driving it out was a pain. I made an additional spacer and a new wedge that is longer so I can drive it out when I want to to remove what I’m working on.
It works great for cross cutting as well. You can see the new wedge here
prepping stock for the next installment on this series. I’m adding a saw till to the opposite side. I figure what better place to have a saw till than on the saw bench where they are used.
-- - Terry