LumberJocks

Making a violin....maybe #2: Day Two, glue,making ribs, and blocks.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Ted78 posted 12-12-2012 07:57 AM 1242 reads 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: The begining. A hair brained idea at attempting something kinda crrazy. Part 2 of Making a violin....maybe series Part 3: Plugging away »

With some great advice from some LJ members I cooked up some Knox gelatin glue to put the back together.

I mixed up one packet of gelatine with some water in a little glass jar and stuck that jar in the crock pot with a few inches of water in the bottom.

Then I brushed in onto the to the two halves and rubbed them against each other while sitting on a flat surface, in this case the bed of my jointer. (My bench isn’t very flat, and I don’t think the glue will stick to the waxed top of the jointer.

huh? guess I missed that picture. Oh well, I suspect everyone here has seen two pieces of wood stuck together before.

On the the ribs!

With some of the scrap leftover from hacking out the back pieces I cut some thin strips for the ribs. It’s pretty slow going on my band saw but it does work. (check out my high dollar fence. It took three whole pieces of scrap wood and FOUR brand new drywall screws. It’s been serving me well for many years.)

I think traditionally the ribs are trimmed down to the right thickness using scrapers, or maybe some fancy plane, but I have neither any cabinet scrapers or planes precise enough for the job so drum sander chucked in drill press it is.
it
I ‘scraped’ the ribs with a razor blade just to smooth them up a bit.
I just now remembered in the past I have used the back of my Harbor Freight flush cut saw burnished with a screwdriver shaft for scraping things, and it worked pretty well. managed to get little shaving not just dust like you get with a blade.

On to the corner blocks

Oops, and that’s all I have to say abut that.

One plywood pattern later, thanks to the mold I still had around from a previous attempt and a couple of different diameter washers to draw in the corners.

I think willow is what was used originally but I don’t have any right now so I made the top and bottom blocks out of pine, and the smaller two corner blocks out of poplar. The straight grain of the poplar makes shaping them pretty straight forward but still time consuming trying to keep everything square.

-- Ted



2 comments so far

View Ted78's profile

Ted78

158 posts in 651 days


#1 posted 12-12-2012 08:04 AM


Replace second picture of glue with with this one.
Sorry not sure how to edit a post.

-- Ted

View sras's profile

sras

3834 posts in 1780 days


#2 posted 12-12-2012 01:56 PM

Along the top of your blog post – just below the title – there is an edit button on the right side. It’s right next to the Watch/Unwatch button.

Nice progress on the violin!

-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase