Today I worked on attaching the MDF’s skins to the footboard and also worked on the rails.
The footboard was nothing special to work on, but I do had to modify the side rails.
Originally, the side rails where designed to be hollow beams made out of 3/4” mdf. All 4 sides of each rails where meant to be glued and screwed together. Yesterday I assembled and let them dry and today I “load tested” for any extreme flexion or any sign of structural weakness.
I was not very happy with the strenght of the side beams so I decided to add a piece of solid 1” thick Poplar board to give more structural strenght. You’ll see in the pics the added board. I glued the whole face of the poplar to one of the inner face of the mdf “tube”. So far I can now sit a whole family on the middle point of the beam and any flex is GONE. Rigid as solid!. Tomorrow I will trim the beams to lenght.
To screw the mdf to the frames I used SPAX brand screws (Torx head, self drilling and self tapping) and more PVA glue.
One extra review about the FASTCAP Screws…. even driving the screws on pine causes the squaere recess to fail 90% of the times. I switched 5 square bits (2 De Walt brand and 3 Ridgid brand) and they all failed. I think the FastCap screws are made of a too soft material and tend to fail. I still have 2 full boxed but will thinh again twice before using them.
Here are the pics of the work I did today. I’ll post some more tomorrow (too tired already…)
Footboard with skins attached
Side Beam with solid reinforcement
Finished Footboard and side beam